Friday, March 06, 2009

Adjusting to School

Libby is adjusting to school alright. The teachers tell me that she's doing very well while she's there. She finally started napping there on Wednesday, eats well, and they say she's getting along with others. She's been emotional at home but I can deal with that if she's fine there. At home, she will be sitting and happily doing something and then cry for unknown reasons. She acts like she likes school but tells me that other kids are mad at her. I asked school about it and they told me again that she's been fine there, so I guess that's good. I think she just needs some time to adjust to being one of 20 kids instead of one of 5. We took her out of her comfort zone which will take some time to get used to, I suppose. I'm very glad she is going through this before baby comes along though. We weren't originally going to start preschool until this summer. Can you imagine what kinds of adjustments that would mean?! I think this is much better timing for her.

A few things we've noticed since she started school this week:
1. She is much more interested in nature and things outside - they play outside everyday unless the weather is just really bad.
2. She has been talking A LOT more. About everything. All the time. Without stopping.
3. She is eating more and making healthier requests. Instead of constantly asking for sweets, she has started asking for apples or yogurt when we get home as a snack. We think they must have done some sort of hypnosis on her at school one day because our kid is constantly asking for sweets! Who is this child?!

So, all in all, things are going well. I think she'll need a few more days or so to really get used to the routine, the kids, and all the teachers (I think there are about 6).

No comments: